December 13, 2012 § Leave a comment
December 2, 2012 § Leave a comment
Just received my Aerobie 80R08 AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker by Aerobie yesterday, and made my first cup of Espresso this morning. I used High Desert Roasters organic rainforest whole beans from Costco. Freshly ground and brewed. Delicious! It tastes rich and has a perfect consistency. There is almost nothing wasted. I love my first cup of espresso! I always thought I wasted most of the goodie in coffee by using regular coffee makers, running the hot water through the ground coffee so quickly, but for so many years I had never thought of changing the way I made coffee. Using AeroPress, I can save about half of the coffee than before. In addition, it tastes so such better. Efficient and effective!
December 1, 2012 § Leave a comment
What did you think about coconut water?
ZICO contains the five electrolytes that support your body with what it needs to stay hydrated and perform at your best. One ZICO has more potassium than a banana – 15 times more than most sports drinks – to prevent cramping. Drink ZICO before or during a workout for the natural energy you need for optimal performance. After a workout, ZICO replenishes and re-hydrates you to aide recovery.
(1) packed with potassium
(2) 5 electrolytes: sodium, magnesium, calcium, potassium, phosphorus
(3) hydration drink
(4) all natural: Coconut water has been used as an intravenous fluid and saved lives historically
(5) low acid: lower acidity than sports drinks and juices (I love this one because my stomach is very sensitive to acid)
November 23, 2012 § Leave a comment
I love coconut products: water, milk, flakes, especially the dried coconut meat, and So Delicious ® Dairy Free Coconut Milk Frozen Dessert has a high content of the coconut meat bits – creamy and slightly chewy: DELICIOUS! 😉 Sometimes I can finish the whole carton (one pint) at one sitting (such as today).
BTW: this is an organic product and it’s perfectly paleo!
November 23, 2012 § Leave a comment
My favorite lunch salad:
- 2 boiled organic eggs
- organic mixed greens
- organic raspberries
- organic blueberries
- half avocado
- macadamia nuts & almonds
- cherry tomatoes
- organic unsweetened dried dates for taste
- 2 table spoon extra virgin olive oil
My staple salad. I can’t ever grow tired of it! of course, based on what I have on hand, sometimes I change up the mix a little bit with a Japanese purple potato, sunflower seeds, leftover cod, green beans, etc. It has a healthy combination of protein, fat, and carbs.
March 7, 2012 § 6 Comments
I wanted to try Upgraded Coffee sold by Dave Asprey of http://www.bulletproofexec.com, because I thought his explanation of the problems with the majority of the coffees on the market makes a lot of sense. However, the way he drinks his coffee (BulletProof Coffee) is a mixture of high quality grass-fed butter, pharmaceutical grade MCT oil, and specially selected Upgraded Coffee Beans.
- Start with 500 ml (2 mugs) of black coffee brewed with mold-free beans (important) – Upgraded Coffee on the right
- Add 2 Tbs (or more, I prefer 80 grams, about 2/3 of a standard stick of butter) of Kerry Gold or other UNSALTED grass-fed butter
- Add 30 grams of MCT oil for max energy, weight loss and brain function (optional if you have none)
- Blend with a pre-heated hand blender, Magic Bullet, or (best) counter top blender until there is a creamy head of foam
I did buy the MCT oil he recommended (MCT Oil – Pharmaceutical Grade, 32 fl. oz. by Dr. Bernd Friedlander) but the seal was punctured when I received it (from amazon.com), and reading the reviews proved that this was not an isolated case. When I re-ordered it, I ordered NOW Foods MCT 100% Oil by Now Foods. I really like this brand.
I drink a cup of the bulletproof coffee every morning, and I don’t feel hungry at all until after 12pm, meanwhile I feel energetic all morning from 4 to 12 for 8 hours almost non-stop. That’s when I get most of work done.
The BulletProof Coffee is very rich, and I think I will get tired of it after a while.
In addition to using MCT for coffee, I also blend it in with protein shakes or salads. To be honest, I prefer using in shakes and salads to
using it in the coffee. I don’t have the oily feeling in the mouth when using it in the shakes and salads.
MCT oil itself has no taste.
ADVANTAGES OF MCT OIL:
- more easily and rapidly digested than other types of fats
- metabolized very quickly in the liver and are reported to encourage an increase in energy expenditure, while decreasing fat storage
- promotes weight loss
- improves appetite control
- is beneficial in exercise and athletic performance
- improves thyroid function
- improves heart health
- improves immunity
- improves brain health
- effective in treating fat malabsorbtion, chronic diarrhea, and weight loss in patients with Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
For benefits of MCT oil, read the following related articles:
March 5, 2012 § Leave a comment
I was first introduced to turmeric tea by Mark Sisson a few months ago. I ordered a package of 4 bottles of Frontier Organic Turmeric Root Powder, and tried with whole milk and raw honey. Heat a mug full of milk for 2 minutes in the microwave and then stir in two tea spoon of turmeric powder and some honey. Excellent consistency and taste! I like it the best before bed – very soothing for the stomach.
However the main reason I like turmeric tea is not just for the taste and the comfort; it has numerous other medicinal benefits (most of the research on turmeric has revolved around curcumin, an active, antioxidant component of the spice).
4) treat and prevent Alzheimer’s disease
5) anti-cancer and immunorestorative
6) halt the progression of rheumatoid arthritis
7) speed up the healing of wounds (topical usage)
8) reduce muscle soreness
I don’t need so many reasons to have a cup of delicious turmeric tea. The second one : anti-inflammatory, is enough to convince me.
What do you think? What’s your experience with turmeric?